Gueoul News

Who is at the Gueoul Market?

Monday is market day in Gueoul. On Monday, August 6 the Gueoul News Team went to the market to interview the people there. The following are their stories.

Journalist Dio Dio Diop in the tailor shop

Ndye Khoudia Mbengue

Ndye Khoudia Mbengue

Awa Mbaye working at her vegetable and fruit stand (photo by Soda Lo)

Journalism student Soda Lo standing with market vendor Awa Mbaye

Fallou Fall working on a new dress for his client

New creations at Fall’s shop

Aida Fall is an eight-year-old girl who is a customer in the market. Her family has a fruit business and farm also. She puts on clean and good perfume. She is relaxed and comes to the market at 5 o’clock pm. She is in the market to buy onions three kilos of onions and two kilos of paper in Gora’s shop. She says, “It’s very good today because I have money.”

Allaa Dieng is a 33-year-old grocery shopkeeper in Gueoul. He has sold groceries since 2013. The reason why he chose to sell is because it makes a good profit. His father owns several shops in the city. He says, “My shop is clean and welcoming every day and I have the best quality products.”

Tapha Fall is a 25-year-old man from Gueoul. She has an information technology job. She has done this job since 2016. She learned the skill from her brother. Tapha works to help her family. Sometimes it is a difficult job because she doesn’t have enough equipment and time.

Every morning Fatou Dieng gets up at 6 a.m to sell potatoes, carrots, and tomatoes at the market. She is 33 years old and she has sold vegetables since she was 18 years old. She finds her vegetables in Niaye. She sells vegetables because her mother sold vegetables before she died. Fatou is kind because she smiles and talks with her clients.

Fallou Fall is a tailor at the market, but his family owns a farm. He is 25 years old and he has made clothing since 2009. Everyone likes fabric but it is not easy to sew. “I talk to the clients and tell them I have the best models I give a good deal to returning clients.” Now Fallou makes colorful dresses for the festival of Tabaski.

Awa Mbaye is a fruit and vegetable seller at the market. Right now she sells vegetables for a strong Tabaski. She lives in Gueoul. She is 60 years old. She has sold fruits and vegetables since 2010. She wants to help the poor people and have enough money to help her family. Asa is very active because she works very hard every day. She cleans her place of work at the market. Awa welcomes her customers with a big smile and an outstretched hand. She reduces the prices for her regular customers. She is called “delegue” at her market because she is very kind and open.

About the Writers
Soda Lo, Writer

My name is Soda Lo. I am17 years old. I live in Gueoul. My district name is DVF. I am a second student in Gueoul Junior high school. Every year I am the...

Daba Fall, Writer

My name is Daba Fall. I am 19 years old. I live in Gueoul district Scall. I am a student in Gueoul High School. I like the Friends of Gueoul organization,...

Nogaye Diop, Writer

My name is Nogaye Diop. I am 18 years old and I live in Gueoul with my parents. I am a student of the Gueoul Grammar School. I like writing and learning....