Gueoul News

Many Voices

The following is a poem written by the students of the Gueoul News team.

Our individual voices are like different colorful pieces of material. When we put the pieces of material together, we have one beautiful voice.

Who are you?

I am a daughter of a beautiful woman. I am a student. I am a young girl. I am 16 years old. I am in the last class of Gueoul Grammar School. I am Nafi. I am very happy.

What do you need?

I need peace and love. I need a lot of money. I need freedom of my country if I am to be a responsible person. I need health. I need to succeed. I need to pass my baccalaureate test. I need security.

Where are you going?

I’m going to visit the world. I am going to America for my studies to help my parents. I’m going to find myself in the future. I am going to play basketball. I am going to become a business woman. I am going to Friends of Gueoul to learn English. I am going to New York.

What do you fear?

I fear weak people. I fear dogs. I fear lions. I fear problems. I fear a bad dream. I fear my parents’ death. I fear failure. I fear snakes. I fear violence.

What do you want?

I want to be a journalist. I want to go to the U.S.A. to study. I want to speak different languages. I want peace. I want to sleep. I want to help the poor. I want to prepare a lot of food for my family.

Who do people see when they look at you?

People see a person proud of what she does. People see a generous person. People see politeness. They see a life that is difficult. They see a person who doesn’t have a problem. They see a good girl. People see a moody girl. They see a worker because I go to school every day. People see someone who learns from the Koran.

Why do you live?

I live to be someone in society. I live to help my family. I live to do many good things before death. I live to make my dreams come true. I live to reconstruct my family. I live to satisfy the needs of Gueoul.  I live because my mother gave me her milk to grow. I live to ask questions.

What makes you smile?

Fishing makes me smile. I smile when I see my grandfather dancing. I smile when I see thieboudienne (traditional Senegalese dish of rice and fish), milk, and mango. I smile when I see my family happy and hear music. Marietou Diouf singing makes me smile. I smile because tomorrow is my birthday. I smile when I get good marks.

Where are you from?

I’m from a good family. I’m from poverty. I’m from the forest. I am from a happy family. I’m from an Islamic family that loves me. I’m from a famous family. I am from the central. I’m from Louga.

What do you believe?

I believe Nelson Mandela. My force. I believe in marriage. I believe in myself and God. I believe my teachers. I believe my mother is the kindest in Gueoul. I believe in my principles.

About the Writers
Ndeye Fatou Diaw, Writer

My name is Ndeye Fatou Diaw. I am 18 years old. I live in Gueoul in the district Dediagne. I am a student in Gueoul High School.  I am a student in the...

Nogaye Diop, Writer

My name is Nogaye Diop. I am 18 years old and I live in Gueoul with my parents. I am a student of the Gueoul Grammar School. I like writing and learning....

Daba Fall, Writer

My name is Daba Fall. I am 19 years old. I live in Gueoul district Scall. I am a student in Gueoul High School. I like the Friends of Gueoul organization,...

Soda Lo, Writer

My name is Soda Lo. I am17 years old. I live in Gueoul. My district name is DVF. I am a second student in Gueoul Junior high school. Every year I am the...

Ndeye Khoudia Mbengue, Writer

My name is NDEYE KHOUDIA MBENGUE. I am 22 years old. I live in GUEOUL in the district of Guouy Guall. I live with my grandmother. I am a student at ALIOUNE...